Children's Mental Health Lecture Series: Insights into Suicide Prevention with the Sacred Bundle Project
October 15, 2020
Virtual Training Via Bluejeans
Elizabeth C. Kincaid, B.A. Psychology
This training will discuss suicide rates and prevention strategies in American Indian/Alaskan Native communities delivered through a Power Point presentation. The focus will be on how to screen for early identification of at-risk youth. The GLS Sacred Bundle Hope & Wellness Screen for ages 10-17, and 18-24, including demographics, cultural identity, the PHQ-9 Adolescent in each, GAD-7, DAST, CRAFFT. For clinicians, we’ve added the Columbia and Stanley Brown tools, and Wrap-Up Questions.
1. To present participants with suicide rates for AI/AN youth with sources, including other mental health statistics.
• Provide statistics from the CDC regarding suicide rates in AI/AN communities specifically for youth including co-occuring
substance use disorder, mental health disorders.
• Provide participants with the history of the Sacred Bundle Project at AIHFS with presentation of the Hope & Wellness screening.
2. We will also talk about the importance of culture, cultural practices used as “medicine” (prevention) and increasing providers’ awareness to identify AI/AN youth.
• Powwows and other events used for outreach to connect with youth.
• Ashinique’s presentation
• Sweetgrass Braiding Event Youtube video
9-9:30am Ice-Breaker and Introduction
9:30-10:30am Sacred Bundle Power Point. Culture as prevention and intervention.
10:30-11am The importance of recognizing native youth as a practitioner. Q&A
Continuing Education Credits: Continuing Education Credits are offered for this training. Participants must arrive on time and remain in the training for its entirety to receive credits. No partial credit is available. You must have your license number with you to check in.
Social Workers: 1.5 Continuing Education credits are approved for this training.
MCBAP: This training meets the MDHHS requirement for Michigan Certified Board of Addictions Professionals
CMHP: This training meets the MDHHS requirement for Children's Mental Health Professionals.
Training Hours: This training offers general training hours.
Cancellation Policy: If your schedule has changed and you are no longer able to attend, please un-register yourself from this event through your profile at www.dwctraining.com .You can do this by logging onto http://www.dwctraining.com, and navigating to your Virtual Transcript and clicking Un-register next to this event in your Upcoming Events.
You will receive a confirmation of your registration via e-mail. If you do not, please contact the DWIHN Message Center at 313-451-3792
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this training, please notify Marika Orme at Morme1@DWIHN.com