Living a Self-Determined Life
Presenter: Alex Kimmel
Monday, March 22, 2021
10:00 am to 12:00 pm
This training module was developed by the Michigan Developmental Disabilities Institute housed at Wayne State University for Direct Support Professionals who are seeking information and skills regarding self-determination and how it is applied to individuals with Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities.
By the end of this training you should:
1. Know the Individual Budget Tools
2. Be Familiar with the 3 Characteristics of Self-Determination
3. Know the 5 Principles of Self-Determination
4. Be able to apply the idea of Self-Determination to your own life and support it within the lives of those around you
• Welcome & Introduction 5 minutes
• Possibilities Video 5 minutes
• What is Self-Determination? 45 minutes
• Person-Centered Planning 45 minutes
• Questions 20 minutes
o Total: 2 hours
- 2 Continuing Education Credits are approved for this training. Participants must arrive on time and remain in the training for it's entirety.
- QUALIFIED INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES PROFESSIONALS (QIDP): These training hours meet the MDCH training requirement for QIDP staff.
Please refer questions regarding training to Kim Hoga: KHoga1@DWIHN.ORG or 313-402-1908